"Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman who needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
RDTW written, pub. &
© 1985, 1998
Emil B. Swift
Starting the Tutorial
Figures of Speech
Important Bible Study Terms
AMP Full Outline
Where To Go From Here
They can be your objectives, if you make them yours.
If you want to remind yourself what you're trying to accomplish (!!!) then occasionally re-read this list.
Our Learning Objectives...
- RECOGNIZE your need for developing extended, persevering attention while making Observations.
- ACCEPT that your ability to see and observe needs to be developed even more than you have so far. In fact, there is no end you're being able to strengthen this ability.
- UNDERSTAND the inductive method of Bible study and its importance.
- UNDERSTAND that this Bible study method, or any other for that matter, is useless in understanding Scripture apart from a living, personal relationship with the Holy Spirit.
- IDENTIFY key terms from the field of studying Scripture.
- RECOGNIZE & IDENTIFY the words (terms) of a Scripture passage.
- EVALUATE the kinds of words (terms) there are in a passage.
- IDENTIFY the structure of a given passage (how words relate to words).
- RECORD on paper the significant words and how they affect each other (structure).
- MEDITATE on the KEY to the mystery of thought-renewal through the Word of God -- what it is and how it works.
- RECOGNIZE the general literary form of a passage and evaluate its impact on the meaning of that passage.
- RECOGNIZE the mood of a passage and evaluate its impact on the meaning of that passage.
- UNDERSTAND that Scripture contains many non-literal expressions and figures of speech which may at times be difficult to understand.
- RECOGNIZE some of the more common figures of speech used in the Bible.
- FAMILIARIZE yourself with the AMP, so that by the time you go to use the complete version from the appendix, you'll understand its inherent simplicity!
- UNDERSTAND that the main point of Interpretation is not the dry recitation of definition and analysis but the lively reanimation of Scripture, capturing anew the attitudes and emotions of the authors through use of imagination and empathy.
- FAMILIARIZE yourself with the three basic questions to ask (and their variations) concerning any Observation you have made.
- DISCOVER the various resources for answering your questions concerning every Observation you have made.
- UNDERSTAND the steps to take in Integrating & Summarizing the answers to the Interpretive Questions.
- ACCEPT as essential that accurate and profound interpretation is a social process, cooperating with the spirits and minds of other Believers as part of your private study of Scriptures.
- UNDERSTAND how to Evaluate the statements of a passage of Scripture in order to determine which of the truths are local and limited, and which are timeless and therefore of value in our contemporary world.
- IDENTIFY the specific effects Scripture is capable of achieving in your life, according to your right response.
- FAMILIARIZE yourself with how to discover the contemporary situation which applies or does not apply to the truths of your passage.
- IDENTIFY the different areas of your own life in light of the timeless truths of whatever passage you are studying.